Short selling is the act of betting on the price of an asset to go down. It is very topical in Australia at the moment, with the controversy over short-seller J Capital Research releasing a report about software-company WiseTech Global (ASX: WTC). WiseTech is a market darling in Australia, up over 100% year-to-date, but fell 25% after J Capital released their report.
Given short-selling is topical at the moment, we thought it was the perfect time to break down what short-selling is, how it is done and everything else you need to know. We finish off with some of our favourite short-selling stories, and may have started a feud with another investing podcast during the episode.
In this episode you will learn:
- The story behind WiseTech Global’s recent price fall
- What short selling is and how you make money
- The two main ways short-selling is done
- The key risks you need to understand
- Our favourite stories about fraudulent companies and the investors that discovered them
We had a great live show in Melbourne last week. If you are yet to register for our Sydney show with Finimize – make sure you get onto it ASAP
- Sydney – Tuesday 29th October @ 6pm: https://generalassemb.ly/education/finimizecommunity-presents-what-to-make-of-markets-in-2019/sydney/87839
Equity Mates Investing Podcast is a part of the Diamantina Media Network – the home of Australia’s favourite podcasts. For more information, visit http://diamantina.com.au/