Happy 300th episode Equity Mates! We’ve got a special episode for you to mark this awesome milestone.
Rory Lucas may have the best job in Australian finance. As the Chief Investment Officer of Hearts & Minds Investments, he is responsible for taking some of the best ideas from the greatest investors in Australia and around the world and managing them in a listed investment company (ASX: HM1).
Hearts & Minds Investments is a unique listed investment company. It has been set up to support a variety of different charitable causes in Australia. The way it works? Every year, the best investors in Australia pitch their best investment ideas at the Sohn Hearts & Minds Investment Leaders Conference. Rory takes these ideas, invests in them through HM1 and instead of taking a management fee, every year 1.5% of the fund’s assets under management are donated to charity.
This year the 2020 Sohn Hearts & Minds conference is taking place on 13 November 2020, so we thought this was the perfect time to sit down with Rory and learn more about the Hearts & Minds conference and listed investment company.
In this episode you will learn:
- Rory’s background in finance and his first investment
- Rory’s investing philosophy
- The story of how the Hearts & Minds Conference started
- How Hearts & Minds uses investing to support a number of charitable causes
- The split of the Hearts & Minds portfolio between the core portfolio and conference portfolio
- The six heavyweight Australian investors that manage the HM1 core portfolio
- The conference process and how the stocks pitched get added to HM1
- Some of the most notable companies pitched at previous conferences
- How the plans for the 2020 conference have been affected by COVID-19
As a special offer for the Equity Mates community, we are excited to offer 20% off the ticket price for the 2020 Sohn Hearts & Minds Conference. This offer is only available for the first 25 Equity Mates to use this code, so get in quick!
How to claim this offer:
- Head to the Sohn Hearts & Minds Conference page
- Enter the discount code ‘HM1MATES’
- The ticket price should drop to $400 (down from $500)
- Fill in your details and complete the checkout process
If you want to read more from Rory, sign up to his monthly email newsletter here.
Have you just started your investing journey? Head over to Get Started Investing – our 12-part series with all the fundamentals you need to feel confident to start your investing journey.
Want more Equity Mates? Subscribe to Equity Mates Investing Podcast, social media channels, Thought Starters mailing list and more here.
If you have any questions, head to Equity Mates Facebook Discussion Group and ask the Equity Mates community.
Equity Mates is a part of the Diamantina Media Network – the home of Australia’s favourite podcasts. For more information, visit http://www.diamantina.com.au/