Roger Montgomery is one of the most successful, and recognised, fund managers in the country. That’s why it came as a surprise to us to hear that his investing journey started by exporting goat meat with a friend at university!
Since then, Roger has gone on to craft his skills as a value investor over the last 30 years. He is the founder and Chief Investment Officer of Montgomery Investment Management, and preciously held positions at Ord Minnett Jardine Fleming, BT (Australia) Limited and Merrill Lynch.
We were honoured, and excited, to have Roger join us, to unpack some of his major stories, lessons, and strategies of his time in the markets.
In this episode you will learn:
- How Roger came to be exporting goat meat at Uni
- The key elements to Roger’s investing philosophy
- The importance of learning to value a business and how to think about market prices
- Why Roger focuses on Australian equities
- Roger’s outlook for 2020
- If Equity Mates received an invite to the Montgomery [Private] Fund
Roger was the Emerging Fund Manager of the Year 2016, and is author of bestseller Value.Able: How To Value The Best Stocks And Buy Them For Less Than They Are Worth
Want more? Subscribe to Equity Mates Investing Podcast, social media channels, Thought Starters mailing list and more here.
Equity Mates is a part of the Diamantina Media Network – the home of Australia’s favourite podcasts. For more information, visit http://diamantina.com.au/