We loved this conversation with Paul Wilson, exploring the Australian Venture Capital scene, and his listed-investment company, Bailador.
Paul has had extensive private equity investment experience as a Director of CHAMP Private Equity in Sydney and New York, with MetLife in London, and as Executive Director at media focused investment group, Illyria Pty Ltd (private investment company of Lachlan Murdoch). Paul is co-founder and partner of Bailador – specialist investor in IT and Media. Paul is also Director of SiteMinder, Straker Translations, Stackla, the Rajasthan Royals IPL cricket franchise, and ASX listed Vita Group Limited.
In this conversation we explore:
- Paul’s personal background, including how he became to be a Director of the Rajastan Royals IPL team
- The difference between venture capital and private equity
- What ‘growth-stage investment’ means
- The process Paul goes through at Bailador to find some of Australia’s best technology companies
- The dynamic of being a publicly-traded VC
- Some of the major success stories of Bailador
- Trends in the VC industry
- Plus much much more
Want more? Subscribe to Equity Mates Investing Podcast, social media channels, Thought Starters mailing list and more here
Equity Mates is a part of the Diamantina Media Network – the home of Australia’s favourite podcasts. For more information, visit http://diamantina.com.au/