It was an absolute honour to have the 29th Prime Minister of Australia, Malcolm Turnbull, join us on the show. Malcolm has recently released his biography ‘A Bigger Picture’, and there were some incredible stories in there about his time in finance before he got into politics.
In this episode, we unpack ‘Malcolm the investor’, to get an insight into his life as an incredibly successful lawyer and then investment banker.
In this episode we discuss:
- Malcolm’s thought’s on Australian property, FAANG stocks, and bitcoin
- Malcolm’s incredible defeat of the British Government as a lawyer in 1986, aged 32
- The transition from law to finance
- The establishment of Whitlam Turnbull & Co – Malcolm’s investment bank
- Investing in Siberian gold
- What it was like to establish an investment bank four months before the 1987 crash
- The story behind the successful OzEmail investment
- Key areas of opportunity for Australia in the coming years
Have you just started your investing journey? Head over to Get Started Investing – our 12-part series with all the fundamentals you need to feel confident to start your investing journey.
Want more Equity Mates? Subscribe to Equity Mates Investing Podcast, social media channels, Thought Starters mailing list and more here.
Equity Mates is a part of the Diamantina Media Network – the home of Australia’s favourite podcasts. For more information, visit http://www.diamantina.com.au/
If you have any questions, head to Equity Mates Facebook Discussion Group and ask the Equity Mates community.