The past few months have seen an unprecedented monetary policy response from the US Federal Reserve. Under the guise of doing ‘whatever it takes’ to keep the markets and economy stable, the Fed has printed money at rates never seen before, with much of it ending up in financial markets.
To help us understand what the long-term implications of this policy setting will be, we spoke to Lyn Alden, an expert on macroeconomic issues with over 15 years experience in investment research. Lyn’s work has been editorially featured or cited on Business Insider, Marketwatch, Time’s Money Magazine, The Daily Telegraph, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Street, CNBC, US News and World Report, Kiplinger, Huffington Post, and she has appeared on Real Vision, The Investor’s Podcast Network, The Rebel Capitalist Show, The Market Huddle, and many other podcasts. She is also a regular contributor to Seeking Alpha, FEDweek, and Elliot Wave Trader.
In this episode we cover:
- Lyn’s personal investing philosophy
- How she explains what has happened in financial markets since COVID
- The US government’s fiscal response and what it means for US government’s debt
- How the US will manage its debt (now over 100% of GDP)
- Whether the US dollar will hold its status as global reserve currency
- The Federal Reserve’s monetary response to the COVID crisis
- The long-term implications of the Fed’s $7 trillion balance sheet
- What discount rate Lyn uses with interest rates at historic lows
- Why Lyn is bullish on Bitcoin
Have you just started your investing journey? Head over to Get Started Investing – our 12-part series with all the fundamentals you need to feel confident to start your investing journey.
Want more Equity Mates? Subscribe to Equity Mates Investing Podcast, social media channels, Thought Starters mailing list and more here.
If you have any questions, head to Equity Mates Facebook Discussion Group and ask the Equity Mates community.
Equity Mates is a part of the Diamantina Media Network – the home of Australia’s favourite podcasts. For more information, visit http://www.diamantina.com.au/