An investor walked onto the trading floor and asked “What’s the difference between $300k and $4.3 million?”…
“Fees!” yelled a savvy investor. “Haha what a joke, the answer is… my boat!” yelled a fund manager.
Both are right, but warning this is NOT a joke. Last week Bryce found a tweet that sparked conversation with Alec. We both know that avoiding fees is one of the golden rules to successful investing but when we saw the HUGE difference it can make. Here is the tweet:
Fees stop your money from growing, and as a beginner, the better understanding you have of the impact of fees, the better. Over a lifetime, fees can be the difference between early retirement and a struggling portfolio. This episode we discuss investing fees – what they are and how to avoid them.
In this episode you will learn:
- What to look for in investment fees
- Transaction fees
- Expense ratio
- Investment management fees
- Ways to avoid paying fees
Stocks and resources discussed:
- ASX Exchange Traded Fund tracking the US Top 500 Companies: IVV
- ASX Exchange Traded Fund tracking the US Top 500 Companies: SPY
- Cheapest ETF tracking the ASX Top 200 companies: A200
- Free brokerage platform to trade stocks in the US: Stake
Until next week!