This episode is the audio recording from our ASK THE EXPERTS: ETF Special with Equity Mates & BetaShares. The session was a live, virtual Q&A with the co-founder of Betashares, Ilan Israelstam.
The questions we ask during the session have all come from the Equity Mates community, and cover a wide variety of topics. The key themes and questions of the night are below:
Building an ETF Portfolio
- [5:03] What is an ETF
- [7:30] With so many ETFs available, it feels like I’m picking stocks – how should my ETF process begin?
- [12:09] How do you choose what ETF is right for you?
- [14:36] What is your opinion on ETFs overlapping – index vs industry etc
- [16:47] How many is too many ETFs?
- [18:47] Other than management fees what are other factors to consider when comparing ETFs
- [21:55] How do you/should you try to ‘value’ an ETF like a normal stock?
- [26:07] What are some of the common risks associated with investing in ETFs; what can I implement to reduce these risks?
International ETFs: currency hedging, tax
- [28:55] International ETFs overview – can link in broader tech exposures
- Why it’s good to pick a locally domiciled product (W8 ben forms etc)
- [34:00] What is currency hedging, and what is it used for?
LANCE ASKED – [38:37] The great Michael Burry and journalists have been reporting we’re in an ETF bubble. Whilst ETFS make up 90% of my portfolio I’m a little hesitant to continue down this path when I hear things like this.
KIERAN ASKED – [42:08] What are some of the ETFs BetaShare is looking to bring out in the next year?
DANIEL ASKED – [46:04] Are ETFs liquid enough if you need to exit?
SIMONE ASKED – [47:20] Sneakers Vs. Shares: What differences is there when trading the physical (kicks/cars/collectables) and the digital? P.S. best recent pickups for sneakers (read this part out)
SCOTT ASKED – [49:48] If the ETF tracks the ASX 50 and I invest $50, is it $1 into each company equally?
CHRIS ASKED – [51:05] How does rebalancing happen with ETFs?
Have you just started your investing journey? Head over to Get Started Investing – our 12-part series with all the fundamentals you need to feel confident to start your investing journey.
Want more Equity Mates? Subscribe to Equity Mates Investing Podcast, social media channels, Thought Starters mailing list and more here.
If you have any questions, head to Equity Mates Facebook Discussion Group and ask the Equity Mates community.
Equity Mates is a part of the Diamantina Media Network – the home of Australia’s favourite podcasts. For more information, visit http://www.diamantina.com.au/